Wednesday, August 15, 2012

More from NE Washington

Another day and four more new streams to my tally.  After hiking to the top of Hall Mountain and some incredible 360-degree views, we explored the Slate Creek drainage a few miles to the north, the last major stream before you hit the border with Canada.


View East from Hall Mountain
I drove upstream until I came to Styx Creek, a small, brushy, ice-cold tributary of Slate Creek.  First hole, dabbed a small stimulator and watch a nice cutthroat about 8" long nonchalantly rise up from the bottom and suck in the fly.  It fell off the fly before I could get a photo, so I got my photographer and found another one further upstream.  It is said that trout living in the magical river Styx cannot be caught by the fly of any mortal fly-fisherman.  That must mean that I am a fly-fishing god!  I'm sure Tom would have no problem catching the fish here (and maybe Rob, too, but the cast-a-bubble might spook them).
Immortal fish of Styx Creek meets his match

Since I was right at Slate Creek, I wandered down the trail to the creek, climbed over numerous blowdowns until I found a hole I could fish.  Promptly caught a small cutt after missing a couple.  I also stopped further downstream after squeezing through brush to try and find a trout in Uncas Gulch Creek (unsuccessfully) and found a lot of willing cutts in Slate Creek where it was a little larger and a little easier to fish.
First Slate Creek cutt

Another Slate Creek cutt
The last tributary of Slate Creek was Slumber Creek, even smaller than Uncas Gulch, but I spooked a trout when I looked into the tiny stream from the road, so I knew there were fish in it.  Just getting to this stream was a challenge, and once there, getting a fly to the water was even more of a challenge.  After finding another hole and spooking another fish, I continued upstream and blind dropped my fly into a nice little hole, saw a shape dart towards where my fly would be, so I lifted up and had this very small and dark brookie.  Yes!  Off to a more fishable stream (I thought).
Slumber Creek brookie
Last stream of the day was the North Fork of Sullivan Creek.  Fished this just above the highway as it drops down the mountainside to join Sullivan Creek.  Did I say drops?  Looking upstream is like looking up the mountainside.  Add to the steepness criss-crossing blowdowns that make it practically impossible to work your way upstream and fill any hole there is with a tangle of logs and branches.  Despite the difficulties, I was able to coax a small cutt onto my fly after about 15 minutes, just before I was going to give up on the stream.  Then Mel and I headed across the highway to Sullivan Creek, where she broke the fly off in one and I caught a few more before dinner.
N Fork Sullivan Creek cutt
Flies of the day still the Renegade and Stimulator, although the caddis green psycho prince caught them in Sullivan Cr at the end of the day.  More new creeks in store for tomorrow, and maybe revisiting Harvey Creek to just spend some time fishing - Mel's choice of place.

No comments: