Thursday, August 2, 2012

Heather Happy Birthday to Rick!

Heather & I (and later Simon) celebrated Rick's birthday today.  Heather didn't get called in for work so after she drove down to Amy & Mike's, Heather and I fished Diamond Fork with stoneflies nymph on 5x with a dropper nymph on 6x under Thingamabobbers for a couple hours this afternoon.  Heather's first time using indicators so she did well with that.  Heather also learned to use a net in a stream and that big fish in fast water can break your fly off pretty easily!

While we had hoped to match yesterday's effort and catch more fish than years since birth for Rick, we came up 7 short in our valiant attempt today.  While numbers at Diamond Fork were Rob-8, Heather-3, I managed to pad my numbers with Simon in American Fork River this evening after he got off work for a little father/son-in-law bonding time.

However, Heather had the fish of the day and if we went by poundage, we far exceeded yesterday and probably even the weight of Michelle & Hollis' new baby Leroy.  I told Simon that we weren't going to find a fish like Heather's so she was certain to have the daily record.




2 comments:

Tom Merrill said...

You guys did Rick and I proud!

Rick Merrill said...

Thanks! Fishing vicariously isn't that bad. I see your pictures, the color of the rocks in the water, the brush alongside the stream, and I can almost see my indicator going down on a beautiful Utah stream.