Friday, July 11, 2014

Special guest on an Ellensburg area creek

Somewhere near Ellensburg....
 
A good start to the afternoon
 
I had to go to Tacoma to pick Melinda, Tory, and Rachel up from EFY. Left work and 12:40 and got into Carlynn's sister's house in Bonney Lake a little after 9 pm. The reason it took so long? About 3 1/2 hours of wonderful fishing. I met up with Patrick Gould, a fly-fisher from Ellensburg who follows our blog and made contact with me last year on the WFF board. We met at the parking area, made a quick introduction, then hit the water. After I hit several with my double nymphs in the first hole, he accepted my offer of a psycho prince for a dropper off his dry. We caught a good number of fish, not much in the pocket water, mostly in the bigger holes. A mix on the dry and the dropper. We walked into some new water for me. Patrick was much nicer to fish with than Tom - I had to encourage him to toss his dry on my side of the hole, as opposed to Tom, whose casts always seem to end up on my side if the water looks better there (OK, I probably reciprocate, but I tried to be polite with Patrick so he might be willing to go out with one of us again). After a couple hours, his leash (which was a little shorter than mine) drew tight and he had to leave. We realized we had neglected to get a picture with a fish for the blog, so I snapped this one before he left. Thanks for the great company, Patrick!
 
Patrick - a fine fishing companion!
After Patrick left, I gave up on the dry dropper after seeing many fish flashing and hitting the nymph. I also abandoned the pocket water, which had produced almost no fish despite its enticing looks, and just started walking up the creek to the next substantial hole. And it helped that soon after I left Patrick, the gradient leveled off a bit and there were a few more holes. In the last hour, I started pulling two to four out of every large hole, Including this nice rainbow. Bows and brookies were the norm, although some of the later bows had a little color in the throat and some cutthroat like spotting and could have been hybrids. 
 
Nice rainbow
 
A good run after Patrick left - he needs a longer leash!
 
Nice buck on the way back

A look up the valley walking out


2 comments:

DrRobFish said...

Glad you were on your good behavior so maybe Patrick will fish with one of us some day! Actually sounds like you were released to the stream "un-leashed"?

Tom Merrill said...

Congrats on making the blog, Patrick!