Saturday, July 19, 2014

Doubles at Little Nunya

Well, with the imminent free time that will come after August 3, I figured it was time to rise up and make a post!

Decided that a trip to Nunya and Little Nunya was in order.  Matt West accompanied me on the trip.  He quickly learned why some refer to this place as Rattlesnake Creek.  About 1/2 mile in, Matt was walking through the grass and found himself straddling a rather sizable rattlesnake.  (In this area, 4-5 feet is a sizable snake!)  Needless to say he will be investing in rattlesnake chaps the the Ex Officio Easy Wash/Quick Dry underwear in the future!

We started the day with a #8 plus OJ for good luck and arrived at Nunya to find the parking lot empty!  (Hooray!)  Fishing was slow at first and the sunlight was very filtered due to all the smoke in the air from the fires.  It didn't reach normal daylight brightness until about 11 am.  The water was VERY low.  We fished hoppers and had steady action.  I, of course, managed to break off two sizeable fish in the 20's, but both Matt and I landed multiple fish over 17 inches.  It wasn't "hot" by any means, but was a typical Nunya day.

After grabbing some late lunch, we headed to Little Nunya.  Where Nunya provides the size, Little Nunya provides the volume!  We fished hopper-droppers (with the Caddis Green Psycho Prince Nymph in size 14 being the dropper.

It is always cool to get a double when you are fishing with a buddy.  After Matt and I had several doubles, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands!

Time to start getting doubles when I fish solo.

Little Nunya besides putting out the numbers also put out some good size.  I fought a nice rainbow that took the hopper that probably ran 17"+.  Matt also hooked a trout that took line, ran down and broke him off.  I saw bigger fish there this time than before.

The flow into the bridge hole did change, making it tougher to fish from the bridge, but the bridge fish was still claimed!

It was a good day.  A little smoky.  A little windy.  But still a good day!

Fish on!

1 comment:

Rick Merrill said...

Now that you have tied me with a double, I'm going to have to start fishing three flies...

Fish may be small, but I sure love Little Nunya...