Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Logan River Cutthroats





The Logan River was running high. You can see a little color in the first photo. A pretty good thunderstorm moved through right before we started fishing. After only finding only two small cutthroat at Red Banks with two more coming up to the fly and fighting lots of current and fast water we moved to Franklin Basin where water was also high, cold (50 degrees) and though wading was difficult, we were able to find some nice cutthroat trout. Notice the sun glistening off the back of the one I caught? Nice photo Heather. I used the Renegade, Brian a Humpy, and Heather a Royal Wulff. We had a few to the hopper.

2 comments:

Rick Merrill said...

I'm jealous! Where did you fish in Franklin Basin?

DrRobFish said...

We started at the first bridge and went upstream covering about 300 yards of river in about two hours. I was doing lots of coaching along the way so it wasn't intense fishing and there were lots of missed strikes, but both Brian & Heather had a good time. When they were "done" I told them I wanted to fish just a little more. I went about 100 feet and landed two more cutts and then I was satisfied. We certainly could have covered more water, but I was just glad they were there having fun and I didn't push them.