Sunday, August 1, 2010

Enchantment Lakes, July 29-30 day hike





We crossed the Enchantment Lakes on an extended day-hike (can you say “headlamps”?) and did have some limited time fishing the outlet of Perfection Lake (the 30 feet that wasn’t covered in snow and ice and the inlet of Sprite Lake. Tim Johnson found a 15” full bodied cutthroat (sorry, came off the hook before I could snap a photo) at Perfection on a bead-headed green hare’s ear I had given him on our last outing with the scouts and Brian took my rod and headed down the trail to Sprite Lake while I stayed with Tim.

He figured if he carried the rod, he’d get first crack at the fish. After

lots of strikes (yellow wooly worm) he finally landed two (see photos) and I asked if I could have a shot at them. “I catch two, then you catch two, then you give me back the fly rod.” (Who taught that kid anyway?)

Beautiful warm day like I’ve never experienced up there. Lots of goats, saw marmot, ptarmigan with lots of small chicks and lots of gorgeous scenery. A tough hike with 18.5 trail miles and 11,000 vertical feet of elevation change (4,400 up & 6,600 down). Michelle, Hollis, Natalie and Elisabeth came along as well. A very memorable day!

1 comment:

Rick Merrill said...

Nice scenery!

Is that vomit on Beth's boots?