Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tucannon/Touchet Trout

Posted pics on Facebook, but if it's not in the blog, it's not official.  And I can share more detail here.  September was free from work travel, so I took advantage of a Saturday to take the girls out fishing.  We headed to the Tucannon River for some fall fishing.  It's a pretty little river, generally with lots of fish.  Sometimes you find them mostly small (4" to 7"), sometimes decent sized (8" to 12").  Today we found a mix.  Pretty much all the action on psycho green under an indicator.  I tried the stimulator as there are October caddis around this time of year, but pretty much all the action was on the nymph. 
 
Once the girls were set up, I just pointed them to the water and they caught the fish.  In one wide stretch, we were all three fishing side by side and catching them.  We all caught plenty.
 
Jess fishing one channel where the river split

Melinda fishing the hole on the other half of the river
Melinda lands the big fish of the day.  I was just upstream when I heard an excited exclamation as she was surprised by this larger fish.  A good surprise.
Jessica is not far behind in size.  She was fishing the seam along the far bank, and doing it well
After a little more than a couple hours, the girls said they were hungry (don't know what that has to do with anything - I can be hungry and still fish for 12 hours....), but since I do want them to go fishing with me again, we headed back to Dayton and Ray's Drive-in, the traditional stopping place since Jessica was 2 yrs old.  After burgers and fries and other good stuff, I suggested that we stop by the Touchet River just a few blocks away.  The girls were happy to stay in the car and knit or play games on my phone, while I fished a familiar stretch from the footbridge to below the dam.  The fish were very willing, about 40 or so in the hour I fished, ranging from a little larger than fry up to about 9".  Both the stimulator and the psycho prince were well received.


Touchet trout
A very nice day with the girls.


No comments: