Saturday, September 8, 2012

Scout-a-vista Rainbows

Trout Lodge donated rainbow trout for the small lake at Camp Scout-a-vista above Wenatchee a few weeks ago.  They will be part of a fishing derby station for the cub scouts in a couple of weeks.  Today I was there with the 11-year old scouts doing an orienteering course.

As luck would have it, the course that I laid out had its end point near the lake so after I got a group of boys started on the mile long course I wandered up to the lake to wait for them and determine how close they were to the actual end point.  While there I had determined to catch and release a representative sample the fish to be able to ascertain their health status and verify that they would be satisfactory for the cubs a few weeks hence.  I noticed that a blue heron also had the same idea, but I suspect that he is there more often than I am.

I had three groups of boys so I had to go up there to the course end three times today.  Oh well, somebody had to do it.  I have a couple photos of rainbows.  Caught 14 on a size 10 flashback pheasant tail behind a cast-a-bubble.  It was better early in the morning.  Had lots that got on (briefly) and then got off after a short fight.  A few were also very hearty jumpers.  A fun day at Camp Scout-a-vista!

Oh yeah, the group of boys that were closest finished within 7.5 feet of the actual end point.  I was pretty impressed and had Trails End carmel corn as a reward for the group that was closest.



2 comments:

Rick Merrill said...

Is that a lake or a swamp you were fishing in?

DrRobFish said...

Lake with lots of green stuff. Needs more water flowing in so it can flow through. I don't care if it is lake or swamp, as long as I can catch fish there!