Saturday, September 15, 2012

Schaefer Lake with scouts

Today was a 10-mile day hike with the scouts.  Went to Schaefer Leke.  I've tried twice before to go there but had to turn back.  This time we made it.  Brook trout liked #12 yellow humpy.  Lots of fish, lots of fun.

One of  my scouts tried to throw his boot across the river we had to ford near the end of the hike.  His boot went up.  His boot went down.  His boot went plop.  His boot did drown.

It was a brand new pair of boots, worn for the first time.  After nine and three-quarters miles of use, it went very quickly downstream in the current.  It was the first time in 20+ years if scoutmastering that I've had a boy finish a hike barefooted.  Both of his socks were in the boot that went in the river.





2 comments:

Rick Merrill said...

Fishing a humpy, I assume it was with a fly rod from shore (or is a cast-a-bubble the new way to fish dries - with a gentle presentation it catches the attention of the fish by mimicking the fly landing on the surface)?

Boot story reminds me of the time when Paul Walker (I think) tossed his boots across tied together, one landing on the bank, the other floating in the stream, and you and Ken Parks tossed rocks and sunk it before he could get across...

Any fish in streams?

Tom Merrill said...

How did I miss this post!? I love the lost boot story!