Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Back to Trout...

As promised in my Memorial Day post, I set aside rubber worms and jig-head hooks and got out the psycho prince caddis green for the first outing of the year to my favorite local stream. Boots in the water about 17:15. Boots out of the water about 20:45. Had a pretty awesome evening between those two times...

The stream has changed quite a bit from last year in the section that I normally fish, mostly for the better. The first run is almost always good, and tonight was no exception. By the time I made it out of the pocket water dropping into the run, I had 52 fish to hand. Of the first 22 fish, only two were in the dink range of 6" or so, almost all were 9 to 11 inches with a couple pushing 12 inches. Fast water, light rod, lots of fun.

Above the first run, the stream has dug a bit of a channel rather than spreading out flat and shallow like it has been in past years, resulting in better water for fishing. Fish were everywhere they were supposed to be (which on this stream at this time of year means the biggest fish are often at the edge in water that barely covers them). Lots of bobber hits, but many more hits on the flies. Fished double psycho all evening, size 12 on top and 16 on bottom. Three flies chewed to destruction. A total of 123 trout to hand for the evening, and I'd estimate seventy percent were in the 9" to 11" range. 

All in all, I can't think of a better way to spend an evening!

No comments: