Saturday, June 26, 2021

Beating the Heat

Having finished a number of home repairs on my Friday off, and with the upcoming heat wave and the prospect of streams getting too hot to responsibly fish, I decided to make a quick early morning trip back to my local stream. Very early to beat the heat and to have the river to myself for a while on a weekend morning. Started fishing at 5:45 am with the sun still low in the sky. Unusually warm for an early morning, but the water was refreshingly cool. Started lower than my normal starting place to see some new water and found some nice runs. Double psycho prince, size 12 and 16. Had a couple doubles on briefly. About half in the 9 to 12" range. Sixty fish to hand by the time I got to my normal starting place at about 8:15 am. After that, it was dead, only five more fish. Clearly another early riser had jumped in at my normal starting place. I was off the river by 9 am, home before 11 am. My wife barely knew I'd been gone. That's a great way to spend a summer, Saturday morning.


No comments: