Monday, May 31, 2021

I'll be back to trout in a couple weeks when the rivers drop a little more...

Spent the morning of Memorial Day at a nearby mixed-species hike-in lake. Although trout are present, my main purpose was to practice the bass skills I learned with my friend Kirk a couple weeks ago. With the float tube on my back, I made the mile-and-a-half trek to the lake and got on the water with the early morning sun not far above the horizon. I started dragging a drop shot worm down the 20 ft deep channel in the middle of the lake, a method that found a lot of rainbows last year. I picked one up fairly quickly, and after the rainbow warm up began tossing worms towards the shore. Sometimes on a shaky head rig, sometimes a drop shot. Not too long into the morning, casting to the point across from the launch, I hooked a monstrous bass on the shaky head. Fought it for about 30 seconds before it jumped clean out of the water and threw the hook. Easily over 20 inches. Found nothing else on that side except little bass and bluegill nibbling at the worm, so I moved to the inlet by the launch and quickly found this beautiful largemouth blind casting to the shore with the shaky head.
At the end of the inlet, I found several large bass cruising, saw one head into the deeper water near me so I quickly switched to the drop shot, tossed about where I though the fish would be, and was immediately rewarded with another slightly smaller, but still very nice bass. 
Fished back down the inlet without any more action, so I decided to call it a day. I'd proved to myself that I can find bass on my own. The next time fishing will be back to trout on my favorite local stream, which will soon be low enough to fish effectively...

No comments: