Thursday, April 30, 2015

Fishing with Vin Diesel and Paul Walker (a.k.a. fast and furious)

OK, it didn't start that way, but it ended that way, which is what we remember most. I (Rick) met Kirk Morris at a walk-in lake in the Columbia Basin where he has fished a couple times and found both rainbows and largemouth bass. He was there early, and had just caught the biggest bass of his life when I arrived and helped with the photos. It was pretty chunky. 
Kirk and his bass

Releasing the big boy

Following that, it was pretty slow for the next two hours. Kirk had a couple take downs fishing chironomids from shore, then went back in the tube and found nothing. I had one take down which I hooked and fought for one run before it came undone (fishing three chironomids under the indicator, about 6 ft to 9 ft down). Next I tried spinning gear, first with lures, then with a leech behind an egg sinker. Nothing more.

As the sun was approaching the horizon and Kirk was packing up his gear, fish started feeding on the surface sporadically, then more frequently. I went into a shallower arm and tried pulling the fly and lures by them. No interest. While I was doing that, Kirk borrowed my fly rod that was still set up, adjusted the depth to about 18" to 3' and tossed it out (not nearly as far as the fish were rising). It didn't matter. This was when Vin and Paul came to visit. Within a minute or two, fish on! Kirk landed a fat, feisty rainbow. I quickly borrowed my rod back, and hooked three in succession, most within about 15 seconds of the fly hitting the water. All the rainbows were big, fat, and healthy.
A face to love (the fish's of course, not Kirk's)

Professional long-arming - note the size of the fish relative to the net - how did that even fit in there?

I told Kirk that he could take a turn after the next one I hooked. So the indicator goes down, he screams at me like a Mexican fishing guide on the bonefish flats, which excites me so much that I set it like it was a steelhead on 15 lb test. You know the obvious result. Kirk leaves to go set up his rod while I re-tie mine. By the time we get back in the water, the action was slowing. I missed one more take down, Kirk caught one more and had a couple other strikes. Then it was time to leave, walking the road out in a mix of twilight and moonlight. We'll definitely be back.


2 comments:

Tom Merrill said...

Rick,

Paul Walker is dead.... just like the fishing is typically for you.

For Paul Walker we grew up with in Seattle. You are not the Paul Walker I am accusing of being dead.

Tom

Rick Merrill said...

More like, Paul Walker is in heaven...just like fishing normally is for me (heavenly).