Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wet Wading in March, oh my! (Monday, March 3, 2014)

Score for the day:  Rob vs. fish 9-1 (Rob vs. crab 0-1)

First off, them me make this clear—wet wading in March is AWESOME.  I’m not talking about my normal March where I’m wading against shelf ice for steelhead, this time it is in the Caribbean and wet wading is nice in March.

First day fishing at Punta Allen on Ascension Bay with Red’s Flyshop with Shan as our host for the week.  My first time flyfishing saltwater.  Caught my first bonefish, barracuda, and permit today.  Guides William and Elmer were great with Grandpa and me.  By lunchtime Grandpa had landed 5 bonefish and LDR more than that.

Today I managed to land 5 bonefish, three barracuda, and one permit.  I only lost one.  While the others here with us caught more (LOTS more) bonefish and also tarpon, I figure I’m an amateur and just learning so I should get the hang of it.  I also figure that I landed that many more fish than Tom and Rick today anyway.  Oh yeah, they’re not here.  I think they are enjoying the snow more than the snow white sand on the flats.  J



Unfortunately, a crab got the best of me.  I poked at a small crab with my rod.  Mistake.  Next cast for a bonefish, the top 4” of the rod broke off on the cast.  I guess the crab won.  Glad I brought three rods, but I’ll need to do better than today or I’ll be done fishing Wednesday rather than Saturday.

No comments: