Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Snook for Wednesday (March 5, 2014)

Walked the flats on the north end of Ascension Bay along the Punta Allen peninsula and cast toward shore today for snook.  Found a really nice one.  Jumped lots and fought very hard.  Did find a few isolated bonefish while walking the flats along the shore.  They tell me I’ve completed the “Super Grand Slam” by catching bonefish, permit, tarpon, and snook.  The grand slam is apparently bonefish, permit and either tarpon or snook.  Really enjoying Mexico, Ascension Bay and staying at the Casa Viejo Chac here in Punta Allen.


Snook to complete the "Super Slam"
Afternoon at the beach in Punta Allen

We walked to the edge of town

However, after catching the snook in the photo, arrived at a channel that led inward to a large lagoon and was flowing with the tide.  Bonefish were present and I cast the shrimp fly and caught bonefish like I was fishing in a fish hatchery with worms.  After I’d caught more than I can count, my guide finally said, “Dos mas entonces rebalo”  (Two more, then back to fishing for snook.)  Another fun day in fishing paradise!

No comments: