Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tom's Homeschool PE

After taking Rachel out the previous day for Homeschool PE and science, I decided it was my turn for some PE. Brian Anantatmula and I headed up to the some hole Rachel and I fished the day before. We arrived early, so we got a prime spot. I call my spot Pride Rock (Lion King reference for the non-Disney inclined). Pride Rock got its name by being the Rock I hooked 14 steelhead and landed 9 in one morning in 2010.

No snow today, just a lovely sleet falling. Ahhh. I LOVE steelheading.

As I stood on Pride Rock and hooked a fish within 10 minutes of arriving I knew it was going to be a good day.... and it WAS. Pride Rock is now named Piedra de Orgullo, too! Brian and I had an epic day of steelheading. After about 3.5 hours fishing, I was 9 for 9! No farming them out today! I wanted badly to get to double digits. Nothing quite like having to take off my shoes to count how many steelhead I landed in one day.

The next 1.5 hours left me struggling to hook anything. Brian continued to land a couple hatchery brats (mine were all natives - or non-clipped hatcheries). Finally I hooked into #10! Which I proceeded to farm out after about 3 or 4 minutes of fighting. I thought maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Brian and I packed up to leave and as we were walking out, I caught view of all the fish that were in there. I KNEW I was not to be denied, so we attacked from the other side. It WAS meant to be! On the other side, I hooked another six and landed 3 of them. One was foul hooked so I just cranked down the drag to see who would win--the tippet, the fly or the fish flesh. Fish flesh lost as I kept my unbent hook!

All in all an epic day to end my steelhead season with. 12 for 16. Some were smaller (around 25) 4 or 5 were over 30 inches. It was a great day. I made sure to call and rub it in on Rick. Too bad Rob was out of the country!

1 comment:

Rick Merrill said...

When they said you'd be blessed when you are called as a Bishop, I guess that means you get to catch a year's worth of fish in one trip to make up for all the trips you don't get to take.....

Nice posts! I hear the Twisp hole calling to me.....