Friday, June 4, 2010

On the Way From the Airport....

June 4, 2010 On the Way From the Airport....

Well, I came back from Michigan and paid another visit to one of my favorite creeks on the way home. Despite all the rain in the morning, the water was crystal clear, but there was a truck at the pull out. I figured they had gone up to fish the water I found last time, so I decided to just fish around the bridge. About an hour and a half later with one pheasant tail chewed to the bare hook, I still hadn't made it to the bridge. I couldn't stop catching them in the water below the bridge. All small, 5" to 10" bows. Then two guys come walking up from down river. I talked to them a bit, and after they left high-tailed it up to where I ended fishing last time.

I didn't find the monster I saw last time, but found bigger fish up there (a lot in the 10" to 13" range). Oh, and did I say a lot of them? Think "The Creek", but with more water, no overhanging branches, and a little bigger fish. There were several riffles where I wanted to move up to the next hole that I could see upstream, but I just kept catching fish! (what a sad situation to be in). The stream eventually narrowed to winding between grass banks with some deeper shots. This could be fun in hopper season.

I wore another pheasant tail to the bare hook, and had to tie on a third. Fish were actively feeding on a small white mayfly, but that is a lot harder to hook them on, so I stuck with the nymph under a foam hopper. All in all, a conservative estimate of 80 to 100 fish to hand in 4 hours on the water. I love flying out of Spokane!







2 comments:

DrRobFish said...

I think you just pretend to go to work in Michigan so you can have an excuse to "go to the Spokane airport on business"!

We'll have to check it out during hopper season. It could be a lot of fun. See you Thursday at Nunya!

DrRobFish said...

Looking at your photos, the fish have a pretty solid red lateral band and parr marks. My guess is that they are redband rainbow trout just like in The Creek.