Friday, June 11, 2010

Little Nunya

June 10, 2010

Dad, Tom, and Rick got up really early to give Nunya a try; however, we found it chocolate brown with zero visibility from recent rains. So we continued on to our fall back stream that I had visited twice last week.

In the morning, we fished up and found some trout, but not a lot and not much size like my morning stop on the way to the airport. Walked up a lot farther, and found a good bit of flat water with some nice holes in places. Got drenched in a downpour. The long walk back tired Dad out, so he stayed at the car while Tom and I checked out further downstream than we had tried before.

Not much action the first half mile and a lot of flat water, then it changed to quite a few riffles for the next half mile. The sun came out and so did the fish, especially when I tied on a psycho prince nymph caddis green size 18. In the little run below, I proceeded to catch them on every cast. After about two dozen, I mentioned to Tom (who was not having success below) what I was using and that he might try up where I was. He came up, and after I landed another six or so to his one strike on a small nymph, I gave him a green micromayfly to try which looked similar. We stood side by side and continued to pull fish out of this run, altogether probably 60 fish or more out of this one spot! Most were in the 7" to 12" range.





We continued to find nice fish, and felt bad that we wore Dad out in the morning. Some riffles we'd pick up a few, others a bunch. Largest size about 13", spooked a couple in the 20"+ range.

Near the end of the day, I broke my magic fly off on a fish setting the hook. While I was tying on the new dropper line, Tom proceeded to hook and land a fish. Then he says, "Hey, this guy has someone's fly in his mouth" and shortly thereafter adds "It's the fly you just broke off!" So he pulls it out of the fish and hands it back to me. I tie it on and start catching fish again. He is quite the brother!

Numbers for the day - Dad had fifteen or so in the morning, I had a couple dozen, not sure about Tom. In the afternoon, I had to be well over 75, and Tom wouldn't have been that far behind. Fly of choice - pyscho prince nymph caddis green, size 18, fished on a dropper below a size 16 prince nymph tungsten bead. Green micro mayfly did almost as well.




No comments: