Friday, May 8, 2009

Train up a child.....

Friday evening in the spring, sunny, calm, tired of working in the yard - Melinda, I think we need to "go to Wal-Mart". That is code for taking a quick trip to a little irrigation pond in a new housing development nearby that is somewhat near to Wal-Mart. The pond is right next to the road and in people's backyards. It takes up about 3 building lots, with grass all around it down to the water's edge. It is more like a park. A great place for a kid to learn how to cast a fly. And a couple years ago it was full of bass, so you can do a little more than cast. But no such luck tonight. Melinda learned to work her 3 weight, I caught a little bluegill, spooked a couple big fish that were next to the bank (guarding nests I would imagine), then Melinda pulled two bluegill out by herself just before dark. We'll have to come back with small flies and target the little guys. I know, three bluegill isn't much to write home about, but I promised myself I would keep a faithful record of all fishing trips, unlike Tom who I see hasn't posted his getting skunked on his last trip out......

No comments: