Saturday, May 14, 2016

Good Day at Beehive

Nope.  Not the classic beehive hairdo of the 60's or the Beehive State of Utah (which I hope to put some damage on in July), but Beehive Lake up out of Wenatchee.

Sorry for no photos.  I forgot the camera on the nightstand.  That's OK.  The fish just got 50% larger as a result!

I arrived at the lake around 5:00 pm.  It was fairly crowded with people, but only a few people were out in float tubes or boats.  I started with a chironomid set up, had a take down on the first cast and then nothing for about 15 minutes.  My ADD kicked in at that point, so I switched to a black bugger behind a clear camo line.  I immediately started catching fish.  Fortunately with more action that the bait fishermen from the bank!

After kicking around and catching them on the bugger, I switched back to the chironomids.  I LIKE watching the bobber go down!  Still no action on the chironomid.  I think the recently planted guys still didn't know what bugs look like, since the green strike indicator got more action than anything else!

After another 15-20 minutes of no chironomid action, I went back to the bugger and continued regular consistent action.  I left around 7 having landed around 30 and having missed a bunch more on short strikes.  All were small in the 7-12 inch range.  Wait, without a camera.... in the 12-18 inch range!  ;)  The action was fast on the bugger and non-existent on chironomids.

I'll have to get back once the fish learn what natural food looks like.  

1 comment:

Rick Merrill said...

Good way to spend an evening!