Saturday, September 7, 2013

Fishing the T's

In Dayton for two days with Carlynn to celebrate 25 years of marriage.  Of course I brought a fly rod along, and my dear wife was happy to oblige me a few minutes of fishing.
 
Thursday night shortly after we arrived, a mega-storm blew in with the creepiest looking clouds.  It just rolled in, started blowing like crazy and then poured.  Ray's drive-in had a tree fall on it, but not much damage so it is still good for shakes. 
 
Ominous cloud approaching

Friday morning while Carlynn was getting ready, I visited the Touchet, knowing it had risen quite a bit and found it pretty muddy.  I was here, though, so may as well fish.  I worked the psycho prince and found a nice 11-inch rainbow and one other small one, but the visibility was pretty bad and impacted fishing.  Tried EHC, but no luck.  Later that day on the way back from Palouse Falls, made a quick stop on the other T river and found 13 small ones in 30 minutes, all on CGPPN. It was still clear despite the rain - I don't think the front quite made it that far east.
Nice Touchet rainbow
 Saturday on the way home made another quick stop on the Touchet.  The river had cleared in Dayton but was still somewhat muddy further downstream.  Fished a stretch I'd visited with Rob and the girls long ago, and didn't find anything at first with an EHC, switched to CGPPN and started finding a few.  Ended up picking up eight, including one that ran about 13" (not the one pictured - I just had the iphone with no wrist strap, so after almost dropping it several times getting this photo, I decided to keep it put away).  A few nice quick stops and a few nice fish.
Hooked right where it is supposed to be, with my favorite fly

No comments: