Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Thistle Creek7/31/2012

I'd planned to fish Diamond Fork Creek today, but thunderstorms had muddied the water to 6" of visibility.  After fishing about an hour on upper river where clarity was about 12" I'd caught one nice cutt and had three others to the fly.  I decided to head to more productive waters.

I had thought about trying lower Thistle Creek and there is a turnout with private land access permission so I hopped in the river there.  I had on a grasshopper and managed to land nine brown trout and one small cutt or rainbow--not sure which, but it had parr marks--so it was worth the visit.  Hot as blazes.

Largest brown was about 15" and was a solid fish.  This one is bigger than he looks in the photo--his tail and head are sagging away from the lens--he is camera shy but was fun to catch on a small Dave's Hopper pattern--I think size 6 or 8.  Another fun and productive outing.


1 comment:

Rick Merrill said...

Thunderstorms muddied it from its usual 12" to 6"....

Thistle Creek can be nice, always wanted to go back there.