Friday, January 21, 2022

A Fishing Farewell

With Rob and his wife leaving soon for an 18-month mission to Peru, Tom and I realized that we wouldn't be able to trash talk his fishing skills for a long time, so we decided one last fishing trip together before he leaves would help him prepare for the 18-month drought of insults to his fishing skills (all in fun of course).

We met at the big ditch on a very mild January day (Rob only had 5 or 6 layers on). Past snows were mostly melted and there was a bit of color in the water. Rob hurt his back that morning hefting a bin of kids toys, and Tom and I were kind enough slow our pace so he could keep up on the walk in. Tom and Rob slid into the first corner hole while I started at the bottom of the hole just above where I had picked up three my last trip. It paid off, as I was immediately rewarded with a beautiful 21-inch rainbow.
It's nice when it's hard to fit them in the net
Rob almost struck next, breaking off a nice one at the top of the run I was fishing. Tom played with a few babies, but that was it for the next few holes. Rob finally picked up a beautifully colored rainbow about 20-inches long swinging in a long riffle.
Beautiful fish, long arm fail; we can clearly see the extended arms!
A little later, Tom brought a worthy fish to hand.
A professionally done long arm
We had a few more to hand, not the most stellar day, but any time you can catch trout in January is a good day. Not having frozen hands is even better. Tom and I got our fish on different versions of October caddis larvae under an indicator. My second fish was on a mop fly, first time on one of those. Rob was swinging a black bugger.

Best catch of the day - on our arrival Tom walked up the highway and found his net (minus a bit of the handle) that he left on top of his truck his last trip here and didn't realize it until he got home. With the measurements on the handle gone, I don't think I'll trust his reported fish sizes until he gets a new one...

No comments: