Monday, November 1, 2021

Red Rock and Pink Rod

I was visiting Rob at his home in St. George, Utah for some late season red-rock hiking and we managed to fit in a trip to a nearby creek for some small Bonneville cutthroat.
Shirtsleeve weather in November
This little stream is really brushy with dipping and the bow and arrow cast being used extensively.
In many places it's hard to walk upstream, let alone get the fly on the water
The banks showed evidence of heavy flooding from rain the previous week (water level two or three feet above the normally tiny flow) which may have impacted the fish, but we still found enough to keep us happy.
A likely run...
...produces a nice fish
I was using a borrowed, bright pink rod that Rob got for his wife. As long as I have a rod in my hands, I don't care about the color. 
Favorite cast of the day - a tree was completely overhanging a nice run along a red rock wall, so I cast on top the wall where the tree didn't quite reach, the line and fly slid off the wall, under the tree, and down into the stream, where the fly was promptly inhaled by a little cutt.
Rob trying to replicate my off-the-wall casting magic
Any day you can catch fish is a good day. Catching fish and climbing over red rock makes an awesome day!





No comments: