Friday, June 12, 2020

Fish and Flowers

My Friday off, I did things in the right order - fish first, then flowers. Back to the same spot as two weeks ago. Flow is down to 130 cfs, about half what is was two weeks ago. Still a little high compared to my normal summer fishing levels, but wadeable and fishable this time.
A nice little 10-inch rainbow
The first run is a little narrower and faster. The floods earlier in the year ran 10,000 cfs through this stretch, stripping the banks of growth and moving a lot of gravel around. Fish are still there, though perhaps not as many. A lot of changes further up, tends to be more flat gravel, but it did make one new long run where I found quite a few fish. Fishing was slower than normal, but I did manage about 80 to hand, so I won't complain. Most were 6 to 9 inches, about a dozen in the 10 to 11 inch range. All on the psycho, size 12 and 16 or 18. Could be fewer fish after the floods or could be the higher water is moving the flies faster. I'll have to come back in a week or two and see how it fishes with lower water.
Just shy of 11 inches, looks like he might have had an encounter with a bull trout
After onion rings and a cone from the local drive-thru, I still had time to run up the nearby mountains to snap some pics of wildflowers before heading home just ahead of yet another thunderstorm.
Purple broomrape and Douglas' buckwheat


No comments: