Saturday, August 19, 2017

Creek Therapy for Rob

I came up to Wentachee again this weekend, but as we had help for Dad today, Rob suggested we pay a visit to The Creek. I think he really needed some Creek therapy, and I was happy to be his therapist. I introduced my Kia Sportage to rough roads for the first time, and made it easily through the one steep, rough part of the road to the Creek.

Rob introduced me to a new section I had not fished before, walking downstream on a narrow path along the canyon walls with the creek tumbling through pools below.
Some pools are inaccessible except by swimming. Or casting from the cliff above, which I did in the hole above this one, hooking and landing one from about 40 ft above the water.
Before heading downstream, he did direct me to toss my hopper into a couple little runs, just to see if they would take it this early in the morning. They did.
They loved the hopper all day long
Down in the canyon, the fishing was, as usual, stellar, if you consider large numbers of 6" to 10" native redbands just dying to attack a hopper as soon as it hits the water to be stellar. Large pools and runs bounded by cliffs carved into beautiful, rounded curves by the creek and its floods over millenia of time.
Beautiful undercut in the rock
Rob finding fish in the undercut
Another beautiful run with a small waterfall at the head of the hole
Trout will dart from 10 or 15 feet away to attack the hopper fly as soon as it hits the water. Or as soon as it touches the water when you dip it through the grass that almost covers the stream in places. In the deep holes, and in the pocket water running between those holes, if it looks like it is big enough to hold a fish, you will usually find one there. Or two. Or more.
Lots of these pretty little guys
It was a great morning with too many to hand to count. Yes, there is a reason this is one of our happy places. A great place for some Creek therapy.
Our happy place





No comments: