Saturday, July 1, 2017

Great start to July!

Lawn mowed, yard and garage mostly in order, so I gave the old what-to-do meter a spin, and it came up Go Fishing again! So I did, picking up the #8 on the way out of town.
Surprised me again by stopping on Go Fishing!
 On the water by 8:30, immediate action in the shallow riffles like normal, but almost all the action was slashing at my strike indicator. Caught a couple, tried a caddis and dropper, but nothing in about a dozen casts, so back to the double CGPPN. Not so many fish in the first run, but most of those to hand were 9" to 11", good for this river.
Typical early morning rainbow
Fishing was a little "slow" compared to my last couple visits - I only had 18 in the entire first run (compared to a couple dozen without moving my feet), but there were plenty to be found.
Gotta love that face
As usual, many in the shallow riffles rather than the deeper runs. Ended up with 56 in the 1/4 mile from the entry point, then dropped in to the run below my access point. Found another 23 downstream. I love this stream!

If you ever wonder why I only fish the caddis green psycho prince nymph on this stream, here is the reason why. I pulled a couple small sticks from the bottom, which were covered in caddis cases.
Caddis cases are abundant
Give one of these things a little squeeze from the bottom, and its occupant will poke its head out.
Look what's hiding inside...
Let's compare this abundant food source to the CGPPN....
Don't tie on anything else here (unless they are actively feeding on dries...)
Yup, a pretty striking resemblance. I had discovered through experience that this fly killed them here compared to even a normal prince nymph. One day I opened up one of the cases and discovered why it was so effective. Never leave home without a good supply!






1 comment:

DrRobFish said...

Glad you had a great start to July!