Saturday, October 5, 2013

Conference and the Creek

Thanks to the wonders of satellite radio, we can listen to General Conference almost anywhere - including at the parking area overlooking the falls of The Creek.  That's what Dad and I did on Saturday. 

We arrived at the creek just as the closing prayer for the Saturday morning conference session was finishing.  There were two cars there, but no fisherman.  Turns out it was just hikers. Dad didn't want to face the slick basalt of the creek bottom, so he came along to enjoy the pretty day and watch me catch fish.  Which he did.  Lots of them.  Starting above the falls with a renegade at the end of the line, I dropped the fly into the narrow gap in the grass and promptly watched the white hackle disappear in a splash (just like my writeup in my blog - checkout the article I wrote about my happy place).  It was nice to find things a little more open and fishable.
Much more open after recent floods
Dad up on the road had a perfect view into many of the pools, watching the fish come up to the fly as clearly as I could (probably better than I could because of the glare).  Many small, 6 to 8 inch redbands, and one good sized fellow made it a beautiful mid-day trip.  By the time I reached the crossing, 61 fish had come to hand.  I stopped at the pools on the way back and found a half-dozen more.  Back to the car, climbed in, and turned on BYU-Radio just as the opening prayer for the afternoon session was starting.  Perfect timing to end a great mid-day outing.
Nicest fish of the day

No comments: