Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ultimate Catch and Release in Calf Creek

April 2011 brought a family trip to Southern Utah for spring break. As this was a FAMILY trip, I decided it best to leave the 5 weight at home.

Most of the rivers we passed were running high and dirty, but Calf Creek (NE of Escalante, Utah) was running clear and was loaded with brown trout. (There are also reports of Brook and Rainbow as well, though all I saw were browns.)

We parked and the Calf Creek recreation area and made the 6 mile round trip hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls. It is a beautiful hike with some Native American stuff along the way. We saw lizards, wild turkey and browns galore!

Without my 5 wt, I had to resort to fishing my SLR (no, Rob, that isn't Cabelas new line of fly rods.) I went with the Canon SLR and put a 55-250 mm zoom on the end of it. Attached you can see the result.I have determined that this is the ULTIMATE in catch and release. The fish are all released unharmed and as a plus, I did not lost a single fish that was photographed. It made me feel good to not farm out ANY fish on this trip!

I'd recommend a visit back to this creek with something other than the SLR.

1 comment:

Rick Merrill said...

Nice pic! You have to fish that creek in the cliffs by the road sometime - it is very unique. And the browns are very wary. This new method could be very productive on brushy creeks where more time is spent getting the fly out of the trees and tying new ones on than actually fishing.

One problem with this new fishing technique - there is no scale of reference in the picture, so we have no way of verifying the claims of size for fish "caught and released" (we all are used to your shameless long-arming in your photos of fish C&R by more traditional methods). I hope this lack of accountability doesn't lead to size inflation in your reports.....