Saturday, September 11, 2010

TTT

We are hoping that Sarah commemorated the anniversary of 9/11 without any bombs - since she was taking the ACT test today! I drove her to Walla Walla early this morning where the test was being held. Since the test was five hours long, and I was already one hour closer to fishing streams, I decided to take the WWTT and the TTT (Walla Walla Trout Test and Touchet Trout Test). I think I had a lot more fun at my tests than Sarah did at hers!
The WWTT was a D-. At an access downstream of Walla Walla, I found the river pretty, but absent of fish except for one small steelhead smolt. I had read the water temps in this stretch of river approach the lethal range to trout, but I remember catching a couple nice trout here a couple years ago at a different time of year. I wouldn't go back until steelhead season. So after a very brief stop, I proceeded to the Touchet River right in Dayton.
Starting at the footbridge by the park, and fishing up to about 400 feet below the dam, I caught a bunch of mostly chesters, with some nicer sized fish up to about 10" thrown in. Peacock bodied elk hair caddis was hot, as was the psycho prince. I also tied on the x-leg prince for a while (prince with rubber legs - mmm, mmm, good) which they seemed to like OK too. Probably 40 - 50 fish in a little less than two hours. I went above the dam for a couple reasonably nice holes, and didn't turn a fish. TTT scores a solid B with solitude on the river and lots of fun catching; the fish just need to grow up a little more.


No comments: