Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Naknek River

Michelle wrote about our Alaska trip. The original blog post can be found here.

As a graduation present, my dad took me to Alaska to go fly fishing out of King Salmon. I wasn't entirely sure how much fun I would have, but I was pretty sure I would enjoy myself.

On the first day, I got up and ate the wonderful, cooked-to-order breakfast. Then I got dressed in a lot of layers to keep warm, and off we went into a boat. My dad and I looked much larger than we normally do. I felt like the kid in "A Christmas Story;" very puffy.

This is a TROUT. I didn't know that trout came so big! It was 25" long. The fish is silvery even though it is a rainbow. That's just the coloring of the rainbows in this river. I was so proud of my very large fish.

And this is the smallest catch of the day. I somehow managed to hook a very small fish. I only realized that I had him on when a much larger fish tried to eat this smallish one. I couldn't hook the larger one because this small fish was covering the hook! I believe the little fishy survived (well, he swam away after I released him).

No comments: